Will My Ex Inherit My Estate If I Die Before Changing My Will?

couple divorceThe short answer to this question is probably not. If you executed your will while you were married and subsequently got a divorce, gifts in your will to your ex-spouse are considered void, along with any appointment as executor or trustee. Void gifts are treated as lapsed bequests, and the property will be distributed according to the back-up terms in your will.

Revising your will

Of course, the safest thing is to discuss revising your will with an experienced estate planning attorney as soon as possible after any significant life event, such as marriage, divorce, the death of a spouse, or the birth or death of a child. You can make revisions to a will by executing an amendment, or codicil, to modify certain terms in the existing will. Alternatively, you can revoke the existing will altogether and execute a new one.

If you decide you need to make changes to your will, making handwritten changes on the face of your original will is not recommended. Doing so could inadvertently revoke your will, and even if the altered will is admitted to probate in the future, it is unlikely your handwritten changes would be considered valid.

At Peterson Law Group, we provide comprehensive estate planning services, including will revisions, and assist heirs in probate administration and litigation. Make an appointment to discuss your circumstances with an experienced Bryan, Texas estate planning attorney today at 979-703-7014 or 936-337-4681.

About Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is an attorney and the owner and founder of Peterson Law Group, a Texas law firm with offices in Bryan/College Station and Kingwood. He mainly practices in the areas of Estate Planning and Business Planning. Chris is also a Certified Estate Planner. Besides his law practice, Chris is a serial entrepreneur and community volunteer. He is known for his cutting edge law practice that utilizes technology to deliver efficient, excellent work.